An 11year-old MA girl suffered third degree burns to her hands after she tried to make homemade slime.
PHOTOS: Girl says she was burned by homemade slime " It felt like really hot and tingly", Kathleen said.
Siobhan Quinn, Kathleen's mother, said by the time her daughter got home the next day she was crying from the pain and her hands were covered in blisters.
"From constantly handling it, it just, I think, did a number on her skin".
Her parents took her to the hospital, where doctors said she had second and third degree burns.
Kathleen Quinn was making homemade slime last weekend. When she woke up the next morning, she had severe pain in her hands, WECT6 reports. And most children make it and play with it over and over and never suffer any injuries.
Bill To Make State Superintendent A Political Appointment Revived
Those folks could vote under the proposal by presenting documents such as a utility bill, bank statement or paycheck. Bosma said it remains to be seen whether the Senate's changes will be palatable to House members.
Consumer Reports' chief scientific officer, James Dickerson, has warned about the dangers of using Borax, which is meant to be a household cleaner or an additive for laundry, but many parents still use it. "I feel like the worst mother".
There are borax-free alternatives in making slime, including one released by Buzzfeed that is mainly made up of liquid starch and glue. Kathleen is recovering, but she's missed a week of school and sleeps with her hands in splints.
The Quinns had encouraged their daughter to make the slime seeing it as a welcome distraction to social media and other technology that pre-teens are typically consumed with, WCVB reported.
The U.S. National Pesticide Information Center, Oregon State University and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency also says contact with boric acid can be corrosive to the eye and cause irritation to the skin.
Although many YouTube tutorials for the DIY slime feature Borax, some offer substitutes for the household cleaner like the edible cornstarch, baking soda and even salt. But no one should have to suffer through third degree burns for a batch of homemade slime.