From nigiri to temaki, sushi has boomed in popularity in the west, but now doctors are warning of a less appetising trend: a rise in parasitic infections.
The study followed the case of a a 32-year-old man in Lisbon, who was found to have parasite larvae on his gut lining.
The symptoms the man experienced was resolved immediately after the larva was removed with a special kind of net.
"Owing to changes in food habits, anisakiasis is a growing disease in Western countries, which should be suspected in patients with a history of ingestion of raw or uncooked fish", a statement from the British Medical Journal Case Report said. The man had been vomiting with stomach pain and a fever, but doctors did not suspect the parasite until the man mentioned recently eating sushi, according to BBC News.
In the report, doctors in Portugal describe getting to the bottom of the man's stomach pains.
Rajnath Singh calls for 'unity of purpose' in fight against Naxals
He stressed on "unity of purpose" and spoke of a unified coordination and command to counter Left Wing Extremism (LWE). Topping the agenda is the issue of re-calibrating strategy to make it more effective and to minimise casualties.
This inner vision revealed a swollen intestinal membrane with a firmly attached parasite, its end penetrating the stomach.
In response to the findings, a Food Standards Agency (FSA) spokesperson told HuffPost UK: "Occasionally raw fish, for example salmon, contains parasitic larvae, such as Anisakis, which can make you ill".
Symptoms include abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting and complications such as digestive bleeding and bowel obstruction and perforation.
It occurs when infected larvae are ingested from undercooked or raw fish or squid.
Seafood, especially fish, is considered the leanest form of protein and what better than to eat fish in its raw form?
They added that most cases of anisakiasis to date had been reported in Japan, but warned: "However, it has been increasingly recognised in Western countries". The FDA says freezing fish can kill parasites, too. Because this parasite is found in fish, anyone who eats raw or undercooked fish is at risk of contracting the parasite, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.