Police said Monday they have arrested the gunman who terrorized Phoenix for months a year ago, killing nine people in seemingly random shootings.
Aaron Juan Saucedo, 23, killed nine people in 12 different incidents, Police Chief Jeri Williams said at a news conference.
"Today is a good day in the city of Phoenix", said Mayor Greg Stanton, praising the law enforcement task force that hunted the shooter for almost a year.
"They had a clear mission: bring this killer to justice and get it right".
All but one of the killings took place in a predominantly Latino neighborhood between March and July 2016.
Police did not provide a motivation or details about why they believe Saucedo opened fire.
Police arrested Saucdeo in that case after finding a pistol he'd sold at a pawn shop and matching it to evidence found at the crime scene, court documents said.
Sylvia Ellis, the mother and grandmother of two victims, said she was reeling from news of the charges after the trail seemed to have grown cold for so long.
But in a unusual quirk, the Department of Public Safety said Saucedo's gun from the killing of his mother's friend had been test-fired as part of the freeway shooting probe.
Saucedo's attorney did not respond to a request for comment.
Saucedo was first arrested last month in connection with the 2015 shooting of a man who had a relationship with his mother, 61-year-old Raul Romero. On Monday, he was booked on 26 additional felony counts, including in another slaying that hadn't previously been tied to the serial shooter.
Motorola said to be working on an Android tablet with Productivity mode
Last month, images of the Moto Z2 Play surfaced, giving us a clear look at one of the new members of Moto's Z family. It showed a really slim smartphone, but with lines similar to that seen in the Lenovo Moto family of devices.
This undated photo provided by the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office shows Aaron Saucedo.
Police have arrested in suspect in the Phoenix freeway shootings, but Leslie Merritt Jr. said in his first court appearance that they got the wro... But they said in a statement the evidence includes surveillance video, witness statements and ballistics material.
Saucedo, who has been in custody since April, pleaded not guilty to that charge.
Shots were fired into a home on August 12, 2015; no one was hurt.
Romero, 61, was shot and killed the night of August 16, 2015 near his home in the area of 900 E. Montebello Avenue.
Jesse Olivas, 22, was shot dead on the street on January 1, 2016.
It wasn't until March 17, St. Patrick's Day 2016, that the series known as the Serial Street Shootings began.
Nobody was killed in those shootings, in which about a dozen vehicles on the interstate outside the city were shot between August 29 and September 10.
Police also have linked Saucedo to the April 19, 2016 death of 60-year-old Krystal White; the June 3, 2016, death of Horacio de Jesus Pena; and to the killings of two women, Angela Linner and Stefanie Ellis, and 12-year-old girl Maleah Ellis on June 12, 2016.
An unoccupied vehicle was shot up at 2:35 a.m. on June 12, 2016.