"She had a small little 3/4-inch long cut on her shin bone".
A few days later Lynn went to the doctor, who gave her a tetanus shot and prescribed an antibiotic.
She was diagnosed with the flesh-eating disease and died Thursday after suffering two strokes and organ failure, nearly two weeks after her injury.
At first Lynn dismissed her injury as a "small cut", but her condition quickly spiralled out of control.
Speaking to Fox News, Wade said: "It seems like a "Lifetime" movie really. We got the swelling down, but it just kept bleeding". "I can't even believe it, that it's really even happening". Days later, she was put on life support after contracting necrotizing fasciitis, sometimes called flesh-eating bacteria. "It's just all happening so fast". At the hospital, doctors said she contracted the flesh-eating bacteria.
"This is the place she loved", Traci said.
Trump's Border Protection chief to resign amid outrage over treatment of children
Michael Scott Moore, who was held hostage by Somali pirates for three years, tweeted "Somali pirates gave me toothpaste & soap". Six children have died since late previous year after being detained by the agency along the US-Mexico border.
Necrotizing fasciitis destroys tissue under the skin that can be caused by a number of different bacteria, the most common being Group-A Strep and Vibrio, which are drawn to warm water such as that off the coast of Florida.
While necrotizing fasciitis is rare, with just 20,000 cases in the United States each year, precautions can be taken to reduce risk.
Doctors say if you have an open wound and you've been in the water, look for early warning signs, including fever, severe pain and a rapidly spreading swollen area. She couldn't wait to get down here and retire.
"She loved the ocean; she loved walking on the beach".
"If the bacteria gets into the bloodstream and causes sepsis and multi-system organ damage, then of course the death rate is much higher", said Dr. William Shaffner, infectious disease specialist at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. "Unfortunately, this place is very strangely deprived her of life", says daughter Lynn Tracy.